As someone who has lived and traveled in Mexico for about a year and a half, I’m slightly embarrassed to say that I didn’t have breakfast tacos on the blog until today. I even did a whole series on the blog called Fiesta Fridays, and not once did breakfast tacos appear. I did sneak in Wild Mushroom Tacos while living in Mexico though, so at least the blog is not completely taco-less.
But all that changes today. Take a good look at your new best friend- Shredded Beef Breakfast Tacos. I bought some flatiron steak the other day at Whole Foods and was originally thinking I would grilled the beef for tacos, but then I changed my mind and broke out the crockpot. Who says crockpots are only for cold weather?!
I really went all out for these tacos since I wanted them to be extra flavorful. Once you assemble the tortilla, beef, and egg, the rest of the toppings are up to you! I chose shredded cheese, pickled red onion, guacamole, jalapeños and cilantro. All my favorite Mexican food fixin’s.
I made these tacos for Daniel and he was a big fan…which is saying a lot, cuz you know he’s Mexican and all. The tortillas were a bit dry for our taste, but they sure do look authentic 🙂
Daniel ate three tacos and I had two and they were nice and filling. The beef plus eggs was plenty of protein to keep us full until our next meal.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 lb. flatiron steak
- 1 sweet onion, sliced
- 2/3 cup beef or chicken stock, low sodium
- 2 teaspoons ground or finely chopped garlic
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- juice of 2 limes
- pinch of cayenne pepper
- 4 large eggs
- 6 corn tortillas
- shredded mozzarella cheese
- guacamole or fresh avocado
- pickled red onions
- sliced jalapeños
- fresh cilantro
- salsa or hot sauce
- Add olive oil to a large pan on medium heat (or your crockpot if you can sauté food in it). Once hot, add steak and cook until brown (about 2 minutes), then flip to brown the other side. Add onion and garlic to the pan and sauté for 4 minutes until lightly browned. Add the remaining crockpot ingredients and cook on low heat for 6 hours.
- Once finished, remove the top and cook for an additional 5-10 minutes until most of the remaining juice has evaporated. Set aside.
- Whisk eggs with 2 tablespoons water and a dash of salt and pepper until nice and fluffy. Cook on a non stick pan on low heat, stirring frequently, until cooked all the way through.
- Heat your corn tortillas and assemble them with beef first, then scrambled eggs, and top with cheese, avocado/guacamole, pickled red onions, sliced jalapeños, cilantro and salsa/hot sauce.
- Eat immediately. Store any remaining beef in an airtight container in the fridge.
I received beef product mentioned in this post at no cost. By posting this recipe I am entering a recipe contest sponsored by The Beef Checkoff and am eligible to win prizes associated with the contest. I was not compensated for my time.
[inlinkz_linkup id=540381 mode=1]
I would love to eat these tacos for breakfast! yum 🙂
Wow! you spent so much time in Mexico! So fun and flavorful! These look like a flavorful way to start the day!
Deanna Segrave-Daly (@tspbasil) says
I so love all the colors you have going on in these photos – and who wouldn’t want these for breakfast?
Katie @ 24 Carrot Life says
Thanks, Deanna! I’ve got some new photo boards my boyfriend made for me and they’re my new favorite thing!
Jessica Levinson (@jlevinsonrd) says
These look delicious. Especially love the pop of pink from the pickled onions!