I’ve been really into cornmeal these days. It is so versatile and one of my favorite carbs to pair with a meal. You can make pancakes, pizza, and now, this polenta bowl using cornmeal! See, I told you it’s versatile.
This polenta bowl could be kept vegetarian, or even vegan, but I made my polenta with just a touch of skim milk, added some sauteed sausage, and sprinkled some herbed goat cheese on top. Aka not vegetarian and hardly vegan.
Beginning to end, this meal takes about 20 minutes to make and is perfect when you just don’t have the energy for a complicated recipe.
- ½ cup yellow cornmeal
- 1 and ½ cups water
- ¼ cup skim milk
- salt and pepper, to taste
- cooking spray or olive oil to grease pan
- 1 onion, peeled and sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and chopped
- broccoli rabe
- 1-2 sausage links (approximately 4 oz.), sliced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 oz. goat cheese
- Add all polenta ingredients to a pot, whisk, and bring to a simmer on low heat.
- While cornmeal is cooking, heat a large pan on medium heat and grease with cooking spray or olive oil.
- Add onion and garlic and cook for a few minutes until soft.
- Right before the water is almost completely evaporated, add skim milk, stir again, and turn off heat. The cornmeal will continue to absorb some of the liquid.
- Add broccoli rabe to the pan with the onions and garlic and cook, covered, for about 10 minutes or until it is soft.
- Add slices of sausage to the pan to brown each side.
- Assemble bowl by spooning polenta first, adding vegetables and sausage, drizzling olive oil over everything, and sprinkling goat cheese on top.