Turmeric is one of those spices that I know is good for me, I want to use it, but I have no idea how! Should I get ground turmeric or fresh turmeric? Where does one even find fresh turmeric? Am I supposed to peel it? Help!
Turmeric is an orange root that looks similar to ginger in shape and texture. It has strong antioxidant and anti-inflammatory benefits and is actually best when paired with a pinch of black pepper which activates the main ingredient curcumin.
I figured tea was an easy way to start and I ended up loving this little concoction. Just a few ingredients and I had a potent cold-fighting and winter-warming tea.
This is one of those recipes that isn’t much of a recipe at all. Just throw a few nubs of peeled fresh turmeric and ginger into hot water, add a touch of honey or stevia, a pinch of black pepper and that’s it! If you don’t have fresh turmeric, I think you could sub in 1/2 a teaspoon of ground turmeric to begin and then add more water or turmeric as needed.
This tea is going to be on serious rotation for me until I use up all the fresh turmeric my friend brought for me from an asian market nearby.
Have you ever used turmeric? What do you make with it?
- 4 cups filtered water
- knob of fresh ginger, peeled and chopped into three pieces
- knob of fresh turmeric, peeled and chopped into three pieces
- pinch of black pepper
- honey or stevia, to taste
- Add water, ginger and turmeric to a medium pot and bring to a boil.
- Once boiling, add black pepper and honey/stevia, turn off heat, and let cool slightly before drinking.
[inlinkz_linkup id=449883 mode=1]