A few weeks ago I visited some friends in D.C., and of course the weekend was filled with lots of food adventures. #thankful for having friends who like to eat as much as I do. My friend, Jordan, and I made a killer breakfast of eggs, bacon and toast one morning, and we hit up some adorable coffee shops during my trip. My favorite thing to do!
We also visited Union Market in between music sets at the All Things Go Festival we went to. Union Market was awesome! It was like a combination of Philly’s Reading Terminal Market and the Ferry Building in San Fran. Aka… two places I could legitimately live in.
One of the stalls in Union Market had this delicious looking chocolate bar that was solid as a brick. I knew we had to have it so I picked up for Jordan and I to split. The ingredients list was short and I could pronounce everything on it- chocolate, agave, peanut butter, pumpkin seeds, dried cherries, and oats. Done.
To the kitchen I went! I modified the ingredients to fit what I had on hand. I skipped the agave since the chocolate chips were sweet enough, and swapped puffed rice cereal for the oats. I love the crispy texture the puffed rice gave the bars! These bars rival any rice krispy treat and are like a healthier chocolate peanut butter fudge.
These bars are:
I don’t know what else I can say to convince you to get in the kitchen immediately and make these bars. I stuck half the batch in the freezer to keep them out of site, out of mind. Who am I kidding, though? I know they are in there…
Jordan, if you’re out there reading, these bars are for you. And all the rest of you too!
- 1 cup natural unsweetened peanut butter
- 1 cup dark chocolate chips, melted (use vegan chocolate to make recipe vegan)
- 1/3 cup raw pepitas
- 1/3 heaping cup dried cherries
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 and ½ cups puffed rice cereal (rice krispies)
- Line a 6x6 pan with parchment paper.
- Add all ingredients except puffed rice cereal to a large bowl and mix to combine. Once combined, add in puffed rice 1/2 cup at a time and fold to combine.
- Pour mixture into the pan and press down with the back of a spoon to smooth.
- Place in fridge for 30 min-1 hour to set and store in the fridge or freezer.