Remember the Quinoa Flake Crusted Salmon with Orange Balsamic Reduction? It was a popular one around here, and for good reason- packed with protein and a great way to use those quinoa flakes. The recipe was so popular that Healthy Recipes Magazine contacted me to see if they could feature it in their 13th issue. I was beyond excited when I saw the recipe (and my photo) staring back at me from my iPad.
Healthy Recipes Magazine is a relatively new magazine that is filled with…you guessed it…healthy recipes! Not only that, Healthy Recipes Magazine shares lots of scientifically backed information about why and how certain foods are good for you. Some recent articles include: “6 Reasons Why We Avoid Wheat”, “7 Amazing Healthy Benefits of Dark Chocolate”, and recipes like “How to Make Kombucha” or “Peppermint Patties”. All of the recipes are simple, easy, and packed with nutritious ingredients.
I’m always reading food magazines to give me some extra inspiration in the kitchen, and Healthy Recipes Magazine has been a great one to keep me on track with my New Years’ goals (old news yet?). My favorite part about the magazine is that since it’s on my iPad I can click on links to interact with other readers or learn more about a recipe contributor.
I used the same general idea from my Quinoa Flake Crusted Salmon here to make this spicy quinoa crusted chicken milanese. The chicken is dipped in an egg and dijon mustard wash before being pressed into the quinoa flakes that are mixed with some spices. The dijon mustard and cayenne pepper provide the perfect amount of heat for this chicken. And, thanks to quinoa flakes instead of breadcrumbs and a light olive oil spray instead of tablespoons of oil, this is the perfect healthy meal! Serve it with some sautéed onions and a side of veggies and complex carbs for a well rounded meal that will keep you full for a long time.
I’m so excited that Healthy Recipes Magazine offered to give away a free 3-month subscription to one lucky 24 Carrot Life reader. This is my first giveaway on the blog (fingers crossed that I get some entries). The subscription only works on an iPad, iPhone, or iPod Touch, so please keep that in mind when entering. Enter the contest using the form below. Giveaway ends on Friday night at 8 pm Central Time.
- 4 tablespoons quinoa flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon dried ground oregano
- 1 egg
- 2 teaspoons dijon mustard
- olive oil spray
- 2 boneless, skinless 3-4 ounce chicken cutlets (approx. 1/4 inch thick),
- 1 red onion, sliced
- parsley, to garnish
- lime or lemon juice, to garnish
- Add quinoa flakes, cayenne pepper, salt, pepper, and dried oregano to a shallow bowl and whisk to combine.
- Whisk the egg with the dijon mustard in a separate shallow bowl.
- Heat a large pan on medium heat and spray with cooking spray.
- One at a time, dip the chicken cutlets into the egg mixture and let any excess egg drip off. Then dip each cutlet into the quinoa flake mixture and press on crumbs firmly.
- Add chicken to the heated pan and cook for about 3-4 minutes per side.
- After chicken is cooked, add onions to the pan and sautée until soft.
- Top chicken with onions, cilantro, and lime/lemon juice.