Have all of you who celebrated Thanksgiving finally recovered from your food comas? It’s a new week (and month!!) and time to move past turkey, stuffing, and cranberry sauce. If your family is like mine, then there will be time for more turkey on Christmas. So let’s take a little break for now and make some salmon!
A few weeks ago I bought a bag of quinoa flakes, but didn’t really know how to use them. After doing some research, I found lots of recipes for porridges, breakfast and dessert bakes, cookies, and granola that I will definitely be trying out soon. I didn’t find too many ways to use the quinoa flakes in a savory recipe though. This salmon dish is a great way to use the quinoa flakes and add some more protein to an already protein heavy food. I have experimented a bit with the quinoa flakes in microwave mug cakes and found that they have a strange aftertaste when eaten certain ways, but not in this dish. They do not have a strong flavor when paired with the salmon, and serve to make the top of the salmon super crispy, just like the skin side is when sauteéd in some olive oil.
The orange balsamic reduction is so flavorful and a perfect way to use up some of those winter oranges. I used fresh squeezed mandarin orange juice, and I would highly recommend using fresh squeezed juice, but I think you could get by with pulp free store-bought orange juice too. I served my salmon with some parsley quinoa, making this a very well rounded dish. You could also add a side of some veggies to really complete the nutrition profile.
Quinoa Crusted Salmon with Orange Balsamic Reduction
½ cup balsamic vinegar
½ cup fresh orange juice (no pulp)
4 pieces of salmon, about 5 oz. each with skin
3 tablespoons quinoa flakes
1 teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon black pepper
½ teaspoon cayenne pepper
olive oil, to cook salmon
- Prepare balsamic reduction by combining balsamic vinegar and orange juice in a small saucepan. Simmer for about 15-20 minutes or until it has reduced by half the volume and is much thicker. Set aside.
- Add quinoa flakes, salt, pepper, and cayenne pepper to a shallow bowl or plate. Whisk to combine.
- Add egg to a shallow bowl or plate and whisk completely.
- Rinse salmon and dry between sheets of paper towel.
- Heat a large pan on high heat. Drizzle olive oil to coat the bottom of the pan.
- Dip the skinless side of salmon in the egg, allowing any excess to drip off. Then dip it in the quinoa flake mixture, patting the flakes down a bit with your fingers. Shake off any excess flakes.
- When pan is hot, add salmon quinoa flake side down first. Cook for about 3 minutes and flip to the skin side, cooking for another three minutes.
- Garnish with green onions, orange zest, and a slice of lime. Can be served with parsley quinoa or other healthy starch.
Abbie @ Needs Salt says
I love this dish! We eat a lot of salmon in our house, so I’m always looking for new ways to cook it. And I love quinoa! This combination couldn’t be more perfect.
Katie @ 24 Carrot Life says
Thanks, Abbie! It’s super simple to make, delicious, and healthy. Enjoy!