Warning: Undefined array key "HTTP_ACCEPT" in /var/www/wp-content/plugins/gourmet-ads/Classes/GA_VAST_Mobile_Detect.php on line 18
There are some recipes that I develop (read: make up) that take multiple attempts to get just right. There are other recipes, though, that magically work out on the first try. This pizza fits into the latter category. And I couldn’t be more excited! Major fist pump action occurred after I took my first bite.
I had one main criteria for this pizza (besides that it be healthy and taste delicious), which was that the pizza dough not require any rising, long waiting, or complicated steps. This pizza crust is it! It is made with just two main ingredients- cornmeal and an egg- plus some water and spices thrown in there. Could it get any easier than that?! It is crunchy (not crumbly) and doesn’t get soggy. I hate when my pizza crust gets soggy don’t you?
The best part is this pizza crust is gluten free, without even trying. I’m not gluten free, but I know many people are, so this is the pizza for you!
The cornmeal crust forms the base of this tamale-in-pizza-form. Top it off with some refried beans, shredded chicken in enchilada sauce, grated cheese, and fresh pico de gallo. Okay, again, can it get any easier than that?!
The best part is that you can use this pizza base for all kinds of toppings. It’s perfect for when you need a pizza ASAP and can’t be bothered with all the steps for rising yeasted pizza dough. This is especially important when you have a boyfriend who would eat pizza five times a day if he could, and constantly begs you to make some.
I left most of the ingredients in the pizza assembly (below) without specific amounts so you can customize it based on what you like. To keep this pizza on the light side, though, go easy on the cheese. You just need a sprinkling of good quality cheese for flavor, or you could use light shredded mozzarella.
I’d say this is a perfect recipe to whip together for Superbowl Sunday!
- 2/3 cup cornmeal
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon oregano
- 1 large egg, whisked
- 3 tablespoons water
- 4 tablespoons refried beans or black bean puree
- 1/2 cup chicken, boiled and shredded
- enchilada sauce
- shredded or grated cheese (manchego or mozzarella are good options)
- pico de gallo
- cilantro, to garnish
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Spray a pizza pan or cookie sheet with non stick spray.
- Whisk all dry crust ingredients together in a bowl. Add egg and water and mix until it sticks together (it will not be the consistency of regular pizza dough, but should not be crumbly either). Spread on the cooking sheet keeping it about a ½ inch thick. Spray the top of the crust with non stick spray.
- Bake for 15 minutes, or until the edges are light brown.
- While pizza is cooking, toss chicken in enchilada sauce to coat evenly.
- Remove pizza after 15 minutes and use a spatula to make sure the pizza crust is not stuck on the pan. Place the pizza toppings on the pizza (in order listed above). Bake for another 5 minutes.
- Remove from oven and let cool for about 5 minutes. Garnish with pico de gallo and fresh cilantro. Cut into four large slices.
The theme for this month’s Recipe Redux was: Pizza Party