I’m back with another overnight oats recipe- my favorite! Since this month is Back to Basics January, I wanted to share one of my absolute favorite breakfast options. Rain or shine, hot or cold weather, I love waking up to overnight oats. Wondering what overnight oats are? Great question! Overnight oats use a technique to soak oats with other seeds or nuts in milk and/or yogurt overnight or until the oats soak up the liquid. Not only does this make thick and creamy oats, but it also makes your breakfast easier to digest.
I have made overnight oats enough to have the basic recipe memorized and then I add whatever I’m in the mood for that day (banana, apples, nuts, dried fruit, nut butter, coconut, jam, chocolate, hemp seeds, etc). Today, I’m sharing a pretty basic recipe with you so you’ll have something to work with. I topped this version with dried tart cherries (my fav!), roasted cashews, and toasted coconut. You really can’t go wrong though, so experiment to find what you like the best!
The best part about this breakfast is that it will keep you full well into lunchtime, which is a top criteria for my breakfast.
Overnight oats also make a regular appearance on my weekly meal prep menu. I’ll set out 5 tupperware containers in a row, measure and add the ingredients to each container, stir it all up, and put each one in the fridge so I can grab them in the morning. So easy!
I plan on sharing more overnight oats recipes throughout the year, so stay tuned!
What flavor combinations do you want to see a recipe for on 24 Carrot Life? What are your favorite add-ins or toppings for overnight oats?
- 1/3 cup rolled oats, gluten free optional
- 1/2 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 1/4 cup 0% greek yogurt
- 1 tablespoon chia seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar of choice (i.e. maple syrup, honey, brown sugar, etc)
- 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup dried tart cherries
- 2 tablespoons of roasted unsalted cashews
- 1 and 1/2 tablespoon toasted coconut flakes or shredded coconut, toasted
- Add oats through vanilla extract in a medium bowl or container and stir until everything is fully combined. Place in the fridge overnight or for at least 6 hours.
- Top oats with cashews, coconut, and dried cherries. Eat cold, or pop it in the microwave for 1 min to warm up (I prefer mind cold).