YOU GUYS!! Sorry to shout at you, but I am just so excited to share my first video with you today. I’ve been wanting to create recipe videos for a while now but was so intimidated and had no idea where to start. This past weekend, I finally said “that’s enough” and just did it! I had to silence the perfectionist in me and accept that my first attempt would be far from perfect. I rigged up a little video set with tape and an iPhone to bring you this fun and quick behind the scenes look at the making of this yummy recipe.
I know I have lots of learning and improving to do, but I’m pretty proud of what I created. The video is less than 2 minutes long, and I hope it gets you pumped about these Caramel Apple Blondies.
I love how video can show that making a recipe is easy and it inspires me to run into the kitchen immediately to get cooking. I thought I would start with something that you would all actually want to make and I promise that these Caramel Apple Blondies are not going to dissapoint. They are fudgy, sticky, and perfectly sweet. It’s like a blondie literally smashed into a caramel apple. I mean, come on! And then I drizzled more caramel over it all, so obvi it’s amazing.
For the caramel sauce, I used this Fat Toad Goat’s Milk Caramel that I got at Blog Brûlée in September and holy yum! This sauce is soo good that I was spooning it directly into my mouth. If you look carefully in the video you can tell I licked my fingers and the spoon after drizzling everything with caramel. Any kind of caramel sauce will do for this recipe, though!
Because these are pretty rich, I cut them into smaller squares. Unfortunately, that didn’t have quite the result I was hoping for because I kept going back “for just one more little square”. Luckily, I have book club tomorrow so I can share what’s left of these babies.
To me, caramel and apples are classic fall flavors and I’m all about embracing fall right now (before it slips away too quickly). I hope these blondies become your new fall favorite and I REALLY hope you enjoy the video!
- 1 cup whole wheat pastry flour
- 1 cup almond meal
- 1/2 cup, packed, dark brown sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce (room temperature is best)
- 1/3 cup melted coconut oil
- 1/4 cup unsweetened almond milk (room temperature is best)
- 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 cup peeled and chopped apples (I used honeycrisp)
- 2 tablespoons caramel or dulce de leche sauce
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Line an 8x8 inch pan with parchment paper and grease lightly with cooking spray. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, mix flour, almond meal, brown sugar, cinnamon and salt. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, whisk applesauce, coconut oil, almond milk, and vanilla extract until combined.
- Add the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and mix slightly. Add chopped apple and mix until almost completely combined (don't overmix or your blondies will come out tough).
- Spoon entire mixture into your greased pan and press the dough evenly across the bottom of the pan with the back of a spoon.
- Bake blondies for 25 minutes, remove, and let cool completely before cutting into 4 rows both ways to make 16 squares.
- Store in an airtight container in the fridge for up to a week or freeze for longer.