These puppies (yes, I just called these muffins puppies) were inspired by a recipe from Minimalist Baker. I am a BIG fan of their recipes, so you should definitely check them out if you haven’t already. I added some much needed coconut and chocolate chips to this recipe. I have been adding unsweetened coconut to about everything these days and it makes a huge difference.
Chocolate Chip Coconut Banana Muffins (gluten free and vegan)
Makes 12 small or 8 larger muffins.
1 tablespoon coconut oil (for greasing pan)
2 flax eggs (2 tablespoons flax meal + 5 tablespoons water)
2 ripe bananas
2 1/2 tablespoons agave nectar
3 tablespoons unsweetened applesauce
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 teaspoon baking powder
¼ teaspoon salt
1 cup almond meal
½ cup oat flour
3 tablespoons unsweetened shredded coconut
¼ cup dark chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F and grease a muffin tin using coconut oil.
- In a large bowl, prepare flax egg by mixing flaxseed + water and letting rest for a few minutes.
- Next add bananas and mash. Add agave, baking powder, vanilla extract, applesauce and stir.
- Add almond meal, oat flour, coconut and stir once more. Then add chocolate chips and stir briefly.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes or until a tooth pick or knife inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Remove and let rest in pan for 5 minutes. Flip the pan upside and remove the muffins to cool completely on a cooling rack.
- Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator. You can freeze these as well.