Hello internet friends! This weekend I’m headed to New York City to see some friends and my brothers, and I’m looking forward to a relaxing yet fun weekend. The snow is a meltin’ and it hasn’t been that cold this week so I’m hoping things stay that way while I’m in NYC. Even though the temps are pretty mild, I’m still craving all things cozy- hot chocolate, homemade marshmallows, and cinnamon spice and everything nice. These Gingersnap Cookies are top of the list.
I made these cookies a LONG time ago before I went to Colombia for New Years’ Eve and I’m finally sharing them with you. I’m sorry for holding back. I never used to love gingersnap cookies or gingerbread, but I’m getting more and more into all things gingery this year. Actually, I’m craving gingerbread pancakes right now….
Ok, back to the cookies!
These cookies are made with gluten free flour mix, but if you’re not into gf baked goods, have no fear! When I made these Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Cookies last year with gluten free flour, I actually really liked the texture (and I’m not strictly gluten-free). These cookies are dense, not overly sweet, and packed with flavor from warming spices and crystallized ginger.
Now that I’ve hopped on the ginger bandwagon, I’m planning on trying out a lot more gingerbread recipes before the winter season is over. I’ll keep you posted over on my Instagram.
I popped these cookies in the freezer so that I didn’t eat them all in a few days and I’ve been reaching in for mor every now and then. The best!
What are your thoughts about gingersnap or gingerbread flavors?
- 3 tablespoons ground flaxseeds + 3 tablespoons water
- 1 and 3/4 cup gluten free flour mix (I used Bob's Red Mill Baking Mix)
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- flax egg
- 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1/3 cup melted coconut oil
- 1/4 cup blackstrap molasses
- 1/4 cup unpacked dark brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup chopped crystallized ginger
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Whisk ground flaxseeds and water together in a medium bowl and set aside.
- Whisk all dry ingredients in a large bowl and set aside.
- Mix all wet ingredients (except chopped ginger) in a medium bowl until well combined.
- Add wet mixture to the dry mixture and mix until just combined.
- Add chopped crystallized ginger and fold to incorporate.
- Scoop 2 tablespoons of batter and roll into a ball. Place on a greased or lined baking sheet and bake for 10 minutes.
- Let cool for about 5-10 minutes before serving warm.
- Store in an airtight container for up to five days.