You know that feeling when you just want some banana bread? Maybe that’s just me…but I had that feeling the other day and luckily I had some super ripe bananas to make my wish come true.
Believe it or not, this banana bread is healthy. Well, healthier than the alternatives at least. The coconut oil does not leave a coconut taste, and is much healthier than other oils or butter. You could probably even lower the sugar to 1/2 cup since sucanat seems to be much sweeter than regular brown sugar. It also gave this banana bread a nice golden brown color. And finally, I used whole wheat pastry flour. I guess I sort of ruined the health aspect by slathering nutella all over the top of it. Oops!
Give this recipe a try and you won’t need any other banana bread recipe. Ever!!
Makes one 9×5 loaf.
1 2/3 cups whole wheat pastry flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
½ teaspoon salt
¼ teaspoon cinnamon
2 large eggs
3/4 cup sucanat (you could also use brown sugar)
1/3 cup almond milk (or other non fat milk/non dairy milk)
1/3 cup coconut oil
2 bananas, mashed completely
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
½ cup nutella, room temperature
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. Grease a 9×5 loaf pan with nonstick spray (I used canola oil).
- In a small bowl, combine flour, baking soda, salt and cinnamon and whisk thoroughly. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk together eggs and sucanat until well combined. Add almond milk and coconut oil, and whisk until mixed. Stir in mashed bananas and vanilla extract until well combined. Slowly stir in dry ingredients and mix until just combined. Pour the mixture into the greased loaf pan.
- Drop nutella on top of the wet mixture and spread/swirl using a knife. This is your chance to make fun designs!
- Bake for 60-85 minutes or until the center is set. The baking time really depends on your oven. I cooked mine for about 80 minutes.
- Cool completely before cutting and store covered in the fridge. Best served room temperature or warm.