When I lived in Mexico for a year with Daniel, we made homemade pancakes every single Sunday without fail. It became our unspoken tradition and I was so sad when I moved back to Philadelphia and we had to stop our Sunday brunchin’ at home. Now that we are back together, we try to make pancakes or waffles at least once a weekend like we used to. I’ve got a couple go-to recipes like my Carrot Cake Waffles or Paleo Pumpkin Pancakes, but I also love trying new recipes. In Mexico, Daniel and I celebrated his 30th birthday with these raspberry chocolate chip pancakes that were to die for! Ever since, I’ve been wanting to make my own “healthier” version. And here they are!
I always try to make pancakes with whole wheat, coconut or almond flour for a healthier twist. Whole wheat flour is the base for this particular recipe and there is no added fat. Pancakes are no fun if there aren’t mix-ins so these have fresh (or frozen) raspberries and mini chocolate chips for the perfect sweet touch. You could easily use regular sized chocolate chips or chopped chocolate in this recipe instead. I mean, chocolate is chocolate, amirite?
These whole wheat pancakes have been added to our favorites list and I hope you love them as much as we do!
- 1 and 1/2 cups whole wheat pastry flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup milk (I used unsweetened almond milk)
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup frozen or fresh raspberries
- 1/4 cup chocolate chips
- coconut oil or cooking oil spray
- Add whole wheat flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt to a medium bowl and whisk to combine.
- In a separate bowl, combine milk, maple syrup, egg, and vanilla extract.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry and add the raspberries and chocolate chips. Fold gently until most of the batter is wet but you still want some clumps.
- Heat your pan on low and add oil, spoon batter into 8 even pancakes. Once bubbles form and the edges of the pancakes are set, flip and cook for a few minutes on the other side.
- Serve immediately with maple syrup!