This recipe has been a long time coming after I shared it on my Instagram account last winter and a couple of my friends asked me to post the full recipe on the blog. It took my almost a year, but I can assure you that it was worth the wait.
I’m always a little grossed out by the amount of mayonnaise in store-bought chicken salads, so I started making my own with greek yogurt to lighten things up and it’s so tasty! I’ve only tried curry chicken salad, but I think tarragon is my next victim. I add raisins and roasted cashews to my curried version, but I think chopped apple or grapes would be great too for added sweetness.
Most of the time, I top lightly dressed kale with a big scoop, but every now and then I go for the full blown sandwich. It’s comfort food at it’s best…but healthier for you!
Once you see how easy homemade chicken salad is, you’ll never go back to the store bought or restaurant version!
What are your favorite chicken salad add-ins?
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breast, boiled for 6-8 minutes
- 1 cup 0% greek yogurt
- 1/2 cup raisins
- 1 cup shredded or chopped carrots
- 1-2 stalks celery, chopped
- 1/2 cup roasted unsalted cashews
- 1 cloves garlic, minced
- juice of 2 lemons
- 1 and 1/2 tablespoons curry powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Cook the chicken and let cool before shredding with your fingers or using two forks.
- Add all ingredients to a large bowl and mix to combine and coat completely.
- Serve over greens or as a sandwich.
- Store in an airtight container in the fridge for up to five days.
If you’re looking for more curry-licious recipes, check out my Vegetarian Curry Stew with Cashew Quinoa: