I am trying to eat up all the summer fruits and veggies that I can, as evidenced here, here, and here. That’s why this month’s Recipe Redux theme to showcase summer’s bounty in a recipe was an easy one. I’m not a big drinker, but to survive the summer heat I crave refreshing cocktails around this time of year.
Over 4th of July weekend, I attempted to make watermelon cocktails with my family and they completely failed. So I came back to the drawing board and figured out what happened. I didn’t strain the watermelon juice the first time. Duh! Missing this step resulted in a gritty drink that no one drank. No bueno. This time I around I made sure the strain the watermelon juice and it was a big win!
It took less than five minutes to make these cocktails and I felt like I was on a beach somewhere (instead of in my over-air conditioned apartment watching Orange is the New Black with Daniel). Give them a try and they’ll be your new favorite summer drink (with or without alcohol) too!
- 4 cups cubed watermelon (or 2 cups strained watermelon juice)
- 2 shots white rum
- juice from 1/2 a lime
- 1/2 tablespoon white sugar
- 1 liter seltzer water/club soda
- sprig of mint to garnish
- Add cubed watermelon to a blender and blend on low until no large pieces remain. Strain juice and discard pulp.
- Add rum, lime juice and sugar to the watermelon juice and stir to mix completely.
- Top off with seltzer water and serve over ice with mint to garnish.
You can also omit the alcohol for a virgin watermelon cocktail!
[inlinkz_linkup id=538500 mode=1]