Do you want to try buckwheat groats but have no idea where to start? Aside from making this amazing Pumpkin Buckwheat Bake (which I’ve already made two weeks in a row), you should definitely go the granola route. It’s an easy way to try buckwheat and I promise you’ll love it.
Baking the buckwheat makes it extra crunchy and you can mix it with your favorite granola ingredients. In my recipe, I added unsweetened coconut flakes and lots of cinnamon. I don’t know what smells better in my apartment right now- this granola or the beef bourguignon I’m making in my crockpot. #sodomestic
This granola is particularly great while I’m doing my elimination diet since it is gluten free, grain free, vegan, and made without any refined sugar.
If you’re wondering what this granola is like, let me tell you:
Not overly sweet
Packed with 10 g of protein per 1/4th cup!
I can’t wait to top some greek yogurt with this crunchy granola or eat it plain with almond milk. I’m grabbing a spoon as we speak!
Have you tried buckwheat? What’s your favorite way to use it?
- 2 cups raw buckwheat groats
- 2 cups unsweetened flaked coconut
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup brown rice syrup
- 2 tablespoons melted coconut oil
- 2 tablespoons coconut (or brown) sugar
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F.
- Add groats through salt to a medium bowl and whisk to combine completely.
- Add brown rice syrup through vanilla extract to a small glass bowl and mix until completely combined.
- Add wet ingredients to dry mix and toss to incorporate.
- Spread the mixture evenly on a large baking sheet and bake for 20 minutes, or until golden brown.
- Let cool completely before storing in an airtight container at room temperature.