When I started brainstorming what I would make for the latest Recipe Redux challenge- a recipe combining oats and dairy- my mind immediately went to sweet breakfast foods. I can think of plenty of ways to combine yogurt with granola or milk with oatmeal, but I rarely see savory dishes using oats. So my mind was made up, and I had my work cut out. Savory dish it was.
I arrived at a vegetable gratin using oats in place of some of the breadcrumbs in the crunchy topping. There is nothing like that crunchy topping over creamy vegetables with tons of cheese.
Of course, I had to keep things on the healthy side, so I used non fat greek yogurt, skim milk, and just a touch of butter in the sauce. This recipe helps you reach your daily whole grain and dairy recommendations. We’re talkin’ fiber, protein, calcium, potassium, and Vitamin D. Gimme some of that!
You guys, my apartment smelled soo amazing as I was heating up the sauce and when I took the final product out of the oven. Heavenly. I know you are going to love this recipe and it would be the perfect side dish with chicken, beef, or fish. And if you’re vegetarian you could serve it with a bean salad or some tofu for added protein.
By posting this recipe I am entering a recipe contest sponsored by National Dairy Council and the Quaker Oats Center of Excellence and am eligible to win prizes associated with the contest. I was not compensated for my time.
- 2 large tomatoes, sliced in thin rounds
- 1 large zucchini, sliced in thin rounds
- 1 small-medium eggplant, sliced in thin rounds
- 1/2 sweet onion, thinly sliced
- 1 banana pepper, seeds removed and thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup 0% (non fat) greek yogurt
- 1/2 cup skim milk
- 1 cup shredded cheese (I used a Trader Joe's mix of parmesan, asiago, fontina and provolone)
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground pepper
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 cup old-fashioned rolled oats, gluten free optional
- 1/4 cup whole wheat breadcrumbs
- 2 tablespoons grated parmesan cheese
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit and grease a 15"x10" (4 quart) glass baking dish with cooking spray.
- Layer sliced vegetables in the dish.
- Heat greek yogurt, milk, cheese, and butter in a small saucepan over medium heat. Once hot, add salt and pepper and stir.
- Add flour and whisk until completely combined and melted.
- Pour cheese mixture over layered vegetables.
- In a food processor, add oats, breadcrumbs, and parmesan cheese. Pulse about 4 times until oats are chopped and everything is integrated.
- Sprinkle oat mixture over the vegetables.
- Cook, uncovered, in the oven for 25-30 minutes or until cheese is bubbly and oat crumble is browned.
- Let cool completely before serving.
[inlinkz_linkup id=425553 mode=1]