If you’ve been following the blog for a couple months, then you’ll remember that I started a feature in January called Fiesta Fridays to highlight some of my favorite Mexican recipes made healthier. Even though I haven’t explicitly mentioned Fiesta Fridays for a couple of weeks, I’ve been sticking with the plan (with the exception of one or two weeks). This week, I’m featuring a recipe that isn’t so much classic Mexican as it is inspired by Mexican flavors, fruits, and vegetables.
Last week I told you about all the juice stands and shops here in Mexico, but just as prevalent are small carts on every street corner with freshly cut fruits and veggies. Mango, grapefruit, jicama, papaya, watermelon, you name it and it’s ready to snack on with some lime and chili powder. I usually buy my own fruits and veggies and cut them myself, but sometimes I just need a little snack and for 20 pesos (less than 2 dollars) I’m willing to pay for the convenience of already cut fruit.
This salad is so refreshing and doesn’t have any fancy ingredients. You can make the dressing a day or two before, prep your fruit and jicama in advance, and all your left with is the avocado. Look for an avocado that is just beginning to ripen, so you can peel it and then slice it. Slathered in a vinaigrette made from orange and grapefruit juice, white wine vinegar, a little olive oil, honey, fresh mint, and some salt and pepper, this salad is the perfect way to usher in spring, if it hasn’t already arrived where you live.
- 1 large orange
- 1 large grapefruit
- 1 avocado, cored and sliced
- 1/2 small jicama, skin removed and sliced into thin sticks or squares
- 1/4 cup orange juice (from orange slices)
- 1/4 cup grapefruit juice (from grapefruit slices)
- 1 tablespoon white wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 tablespoon honey
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh mint
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Using a sharp knife, cut off both ends of the orange and grapefruit and slice the rind off. Slice along the membrane of each orange and grapefruit slice to remove without any skin. Set aside.
- With any remaining orange and grapefruit slices or pulp, squeeze out juice for vinaigrette.
- Add the rest of the ingredients for the vinaigrette to a jar and whisk together or close the jar and shake to incorporate.
- Arrange orange and grapefruit slices, jicama, and avocado on a platter and pour vinaigrette over everything.
- Serve immediately and store any remaining vinaigrette in a closed container in the fridge for up to a week.
Fruit and jicama can also be cut in advance (best if same day) and assembled with freshly cut avocado and dressing before being served.