Do you love a good McDonald’s Shamrock Shake around St. Patty’s Day? If you answered yes, then I made this smoothie just for you! Funny story- I’ve never actually had a real Shamrock Shake. I didn’t even know that they are mint flavored until I looked it up the other day. But I can tell you that I already love them. What I don’t love is not knowing what is in my drink. Should we even talk about the nutritional stats of a Mickey D’s Shamrock Shake? Lets.
A 12 oz. Shamrock Shake is more like a milkshake with 530 calories, 15 g of fat, 86 g of carbs, and…drumroll please…73 g of sugar!!! Also, can someone tell me what “shamrock shake syrup” is? Right, it’s just high fructose corn syrup. In fact, every ingredient used in the shake has corn syrup in it. Ok, so that’s definitely not happening.
Instead, this natural and protein packed smoothie is what’s happening. You just need a few ingredients to whip together this perfectly green smoothie. And it can be vegan if you use a vegan protein powder. Here’s what you need:
Unsweetened almond milk
Spinach (fresh or frozen)
Vanilla protein powder (choose nutritional profile you like best aka vegan)
That’s it! Throw it all in a blender, blend away, and you’ve got a breakfast on the go or a filling snack.
This shake is super refreshing and will disappear quickly. I promise that you can’t taste the spinach at all. It’s such a great trick to get in your veggies without even knowing it, and no artificial dyes needed to turn this baby green! It’s what I call the luck of the Irish!
- 1 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 1/2 banana, frozen preferably
- 1 scoop vanilla protein powder (I used Gold Standard Vanilla whey)
- 1 handful (or about 1 cup) ripped spinach leaves (could also use frozen)
- 1/4 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon pure peppermint extract
- 1 cup ice cubes
- Add all ingredients to a blender and blend until completely smooth. Add more ice to make the smoothie thicker, or more almond milk to smooth it out.